Ferodo pads for a standard TZR caliper

Technical questions and answers

Ferodo pads for a standard TZR caliper

Postby Malc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:20 pm

If memory serves me correct, one YPMer used to have a good source for Ferodo pads. I can't remember if this was for the standard caliper or the blue-spot though...? I guess as an alternative, is it possible to get the SBS double ceramic(? - the ones that Higgsy sources) for the standard caliper?

What's the good word on options? I'd rather not fit a blue-spot if I can help it, cos on the 2012 bike I actually preferred the feel of the standard one once I'd tried both...! More than happy to take advice and recommendations though.
Malc
Tail Ender
Tail Ender

Re: Ferodo pads for a standard TZR caliper

Postby Higgsy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:01 pm

Malc, the problem with the stock caliper is you can only get SBS Road pads for it. Ceramic, Sintered or Carbon tech. None of those are race pads. EBC do a double H sintered which might be a reasonable option, failing that a search through the bay might turn some old stock up. Of the SBS pads the ceramics might be slightly softer and the carbon tech might bite a tad harder. None would be as good as the Race sintered pad. SBS used to make a race compound pad but it doesn't seem to be listed anymore

I don't know anybody else that makes a race pad for that caliper

The old Ferodo ceramic were Cp211's (now superseeded by the CP1) I think but that was only available for the blue spot and worked OK with the standard master cylinder, which most didn't

Fit a blue spot and use the race pad of your choice mate :)
Higgsy
Spammer
Spammer

Postby Malc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:32 am

Cheers Steve. Between your advice here and the Facebook thread, it looks like a Blue-spot and RS125 master cylinder is the way forward so its off to the bay I go.

The pads of choice are the SBS634HS I believe?
Malc
Tail Ender
Tail Ender

Postby ypvs250 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:56 am

hey malc
with that combo ,the pads that workwell are sbs634rs
ypvs250
Club Gimp
Club Gimp

Postby Ells » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Malc wrote:I'd rather not fit a blue-spot if I can help it, cos on the 2012 bike I actually preferred the feel of the standard one ...

I might be teaching you to suck eggs but when you tried the blue spot did you keep the original TZR master cylinder? Swapping the master cylinder will make the feel better (less wooden)

Mark
#90 Going slower than last year
Ells
Tail Ender
Tail Ender

Postby Malc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Ells wrote:
Malc wrote:I'd rather not fit a blue-spot if I can help it, cos on the 2012 bike I actually preferred the feel of the standard one ...

I might be teaching you to suck eggs but when you tried the blue spot did you keep the original TZR master cylinder? Swapping the master cylinder will make the feel better (less wooden)

Mark

Not at all Mark, I appreciate everyone's input! Nobody knows it all, but between us all we can come bloody close! ;)

My original question was only really asked cos I just fitted my last set of Ferodos yesterday afternoon and was looking to buy a spare set, but if there are better options available I may as well look at them too. To answer yours, I have a feeling it was a blue spot with the original master cylinder, but as I've slept since then I really can't recall now.
Malc
Tail Ender
Tail Ender

Postby Higgsy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:20 pm

As Andy said malc, you need the Race Sintered (RS) pads rather than the Road Sintered (HS)
Higgsy
Spammer
Spammer

Postby Higgsy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:07 am

I had the same problem with the YPVS forks Malc, couldn't find a race pad for love or money, ended up on Ferodo Platinum which were pretty good to be honest for a road pad, but they don't do those any more for the TZR it seems :(
Higgsy
Spammer
Spammer

Postby Properjob » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:23 am

I used to get mine off Gerry but no longer an option.
The SBS ones in compounds for TZRs are pants.
However Ducati 748 pads fit and you can still get some pretty tasty compounds for those. Trackside people rarely stock those any more though, mail order only.
Properjob
Front Runner
Front Runner

Return to Technical